Tuesday, August 11, 2009

the last hoorah...

Something I've come to realize about myself over the course of this clinical and cultural experience is that I still have so much to learn as a professional. There are so many nuances that can only be learned during a therapy session and as you get to know your client. These things cannot be learned from a textbook.

Another realization, perhaps on a deeper level, is that I do not want a predictable existance. I do not want to get so comfortable in my job that I surround myself in some kind of protected bubble where I am oblivious to the needs of the world. I want to make myself available for opportunities to serve abroad and offer my expertise where needed. As we have all come to realize over the last two weeks, we, as students and professionals, gain so much from experiences like this. We have all struggled with the feeling that we are gaining more than we are giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment